CHILL LEADS TO DEATH
Fire Department Engineer, Overheated
in Helping Extricate Apparatus
form Mud, Soon Passes Out.
The death of Engineer Harry E. Buckingham of the fire department, on
Tuesday, at his home, No. 1022 Mohawk avenue, was the result of exposure
while on his way to a fire January 21.
The engine and hose wagon stuck in the mud and
Buckingham worked until he became overheated helping to extricate the
apparatus. All four horses were hitched to the hose
Even then they could barely get to the scene of the
fire, which was small.
During the hour that passed before they were able to
get back to the engine house, Buckingham became chilled through by rain
and wind and contracted a severe attack of inflammatory rheumatism, to
which he succumbs in a week.
Buckingham was born at For Madison, L. and was 31 years
old. He had been a fireman nine years, and was promoted to the rank of
engineer in 1906. He married in 1903, and leaves a widow and two
children, Helen, aged 4, and Harold, a 3-month-old baby.
The funeral services will be held at Booth &
Boston's parlor at 2 o'clock tomorrow afternoon, under the auspices of the
Firemen's Relief Association and the Maccubees.